Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Release

In January I created this Harlequin Drake Decoy so there would be an example for my class in Spokane to see what they would create. This class would carve a functional Harlequin Drake working decoy.

The intent was to have a working decoy style which would be very basic and simple in both carving and painting.

As I proceeded through the carving I decided to provide more definition in the bill and wings which kicked it out of a typical working decoy classification. A traditional working decoy would have no bill detail and the primaries would not be a refined as I have them here.

Also, when I moved into the painting of this bird, I decided to try to give it more interest and pop. This was accomplished through more feathering and blending of colors than one would see on a traditional working decoy where the colors are blocked in.

As a result I have a very attractive looking decoy that I'm quite pleased with.

You can see more photos of this bird on my website: http://www.simchuk.com/19601.html

No comments:

Post a Comment