Saturday, February 6, 2010

Current Work in Progress - Kestrel - 4th Posting

In this weeks progress posting I will review the feather layout for the wings and tail. In this first image you see I have drawn in place the feathers that make up the wings and tail.

Also you will notice that I have drawn in feather groupings for the Scapulars, Cape, and forward wing coverts. These feather groups are considered soft feathers and the individual feathers won't be separated out as in the other wing and tail feathers.



This next photo shows all the main wing feathers cut into place. At present they look stacked in place due to the abrupt edge. At this time too, I went ahead and did some undercutting of the primaries. Still leaving them plenty thick for strength as I continue to work the bird.

Also take note of the soft feather groups. they were cut in and given a soft rolling in and out of each valley. The next posting will review how this is accomplished.


In this photo notice how I softened the edges of the individual feathers. This makes it more realistic and gradual step down from one feather to the next. The only feathers with a much more abrupt edge are the primaries, tail feathers, and any area I want to show lift and separation.

You might notice I went ahead and created the major feather splits or separation around the head and cheek patch. Later postings you will get to see a closer view of this work.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a carver , ex birdwatcher so I can benefit twice from your work. I'm impresses with your carvings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this site will be of benefit to you. I hope to keep it interesting and informative for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete