Saturday, February 20, 2010

Current Work in Progress - Kestrel - 5th Posting

In this weeks progress posting I am showing how I handle the soft feather groups. Soft feathers don't require individual feathers to be cut in place as was the case with the wing and tail feathers, rather I cut in groups of soft feathers.

The steps in creating soft feathers:

1. Draw in the feather groups. Use an S shape when creating these groups. Going from small groups around the head, to larger as you reach the flanks. Each group represents a group of soft feathers. I try to follow the natural feather flow in all areas when creating these groups.

2. Cut the feather groups. I use a diamond flame to cut these in (football shape). I try to vary the depth of these cuts to create variation of depth across the soft feather area. Deeper down the center and back portion of the birds body.

3. Round over the edges. Using the carbide flame cutter, I roll the edges so there are not sharp or steep drop offs from one group to the next.

4. Refine groups. At this point I will go in and make some valleys deeper or shallower to create a nice flow and variation from group to group over a given area.

On the breast, belly, flanks and under tail coverts I will cover the entire area with these soft feather groups. On the scapulars, forward wing coverts, cape, and nape I will only do partial groups to give an impression of feather groupings. Basically I don't want to have these areas too lumpy - bumpy.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete