Monday, May 24, 2010

Competition - Harlequin Drake Decoy

This year I wasn't able to make it back east to the Ward World Championships. However, I was able to get a bird back there through the aid of a local friend/carver (Andrew Speer). Because I couldn't attend and hand carry or deliver my latest greatest pieces I decided to send a nice decoy. The one I did during the Spokane class back in January and March. This being the Harlequin Drake decoy which you can see a couple posts down on this page.

Turned out this bird competed quite well back east. It took best in species (other divers - Harlequin) in contemporary decoys. I'm pleased with this result given the fact it wasn't painted to the highest level of detail that would be needed for the CD category.

The bonus to this bird was the fact it was also entered into a show over in Havre de Grace the weekend after worlds. It had to go into the smoothie category as it was too fancy for a working decoy. In smoothie it took best in species and second best diver. Again, I couldn't be happier with this result. Under the smoothie category it wasn't painted with the highest level of detail one would expect for that category.

I consider myself fortunate to have placed at both of these shows given the fact I didn't do a bird specifically for any given category or competition. The most important thing was doing a bird I really wanted to do for myself (aside from it being a class project). Even if it happens to fall in the middle of the pack as far as detail or lack of detail didn't matter. I have a great bird for my mantle and eventually it will end up on someones mantle to enjoy for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment